6/14/2006

Commissioning Weekend

it's taken me a few days to unwind and collect my thoughts. The drive home from NJ was horrible. Normally a 15-20 minute drive, it took over 2 hours to go from the Meadowlands to the George Washington Bridge...and that was at the beginning of the trip. Altogether we were driving for about 10 hours when it normally only takes about 6.

Aside from the drive home, the weekend was decent. We got to see friends and even meet some new people we hadn't been introduced to before. :o) My wife says I shmooze (i think that's a yiddish word). I call it networking!

Commissioning itself was ok. Yes, just ok. We drove down there because some good friends of ours were being Commissioned. These are friends who I got in trouble with at Youth Councils and camp "back in the day". It was great to see them start this crazy journey that is officership. The meetings themselves, Ordination in the morning and Appointment in the afternoon, were very drawn out. The morning meeting is usually a long one, but it had never seemed like it in the past. And the appointment service is hardly ever more than 2 hours...this year it was 3! That is supposed to be the upbeat and exciting meeting, people cheering and praising God for the new ministers that are being sent out...just kinda fell flat. Maybe it was just me, but I don't know. Anyone have any comments?

In His Grip,
Dave

2 comments:

wcs53 said...

I haven't been to a commissioning since 1998 (which was ours) and I know that even in that time it has changed so much. we've never lived close enough to Toronto to attend another.

I haven't been to that many anyway, probably about 5 at the most. I think your own one flies past very quickly, or so it seems, because you're finally at the end of the whole training thing and just keen to get on with it all. Also you are in a kind of daze, because you are wondering where you are going to be sent to (although we were the last session in Canada/Bermuda to not know on the day).

I remember going to my sister's commissioning in 1991 and it seemed like it was never going to end. It was in England and they had 3 meetings during the day. Also there were 75 being commissioned. I remember saying to myself that day that I would never put myself through the torture of training college and officership. Never say never!

Hope you're all well.
Blessings
William

Christian said...

I am with you on all accounts... Everything from the traffic, the length of the meetings, to the appointment service seeming to fall flat.

I was there because I was asked to carry my session flag, but I do not think I will be making any trips to Commissioning in the future unless it is mandated or if there is a personal affiliation with a cadet.