3/05/2006

Be Thou My Vision

I'm still not sure why this hymn is not in The Salvation Army Songbook, especially since the tune (Slane) is in the Tunebook. If I had to pick a favorite hymn, this would be it. Maybe it's because of my Irish heritage, but I do love it. Here is a link to where I found the lyrics so i could use the song at a Funeral I am performing tomorrow: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/t/btmvison.htm

This will be my first "solo" funeral service. I guess I'm a little nervous, because I didn't know the deceased or any of the family at all. It fell to me, because the CO's are on vacation. I'm sure it will be fine, but pray for me.

Dave

3 comments:

Kapten Clark said...

Good question, and I've wondered it myself. My guess would be a copyright problem.

We did SO MANY funerals in Chester! I think it's important to find out a little something about the person who died.

I often wonder what Jesus would say/do at a funeral. Of course, that's always a good path to follow! I think He would love the socks off the family who is mourning.

wcs53 said...

Dave,

It is strange that we have the tune, but not the song.

We'll pray that the funeral goes well. I always find that if you find out some key interests of the deceased and include this in the service or message that the family are given some comfort. It also adds a personal touch to something that could otherwise seem so impersonal.

I find that a lot of the funerals we get to do are of people we never knew, so that when we do one of someone we knew it is less stressful.

Blessings,
William

Anonymous said...

This is a powerful song. I have tried a few times to find it in the songbook, but alas. Thats the beauty of powerpoint. You can put the words up even if our publishers forgot to put it in the big red book.

thanks for the post.

Peter www.lublink.ca