2/17/2006

The Life & Ministry of William Booth

I am about half-way through the new Roger Green bio of the Founder and I am learning something new on nearly every page.

One particular section jumped out at me.
In speaking of some local Christian Mission stations that pulled out and went independant, Roger Green states that the
"motivations of the preachers and missioners are difficult to discern, but both William and Catherine viewed these people as traitors to the cause, thus once again confirming in terms of the leading of God, they did not allow in others. God had led them into New Connexion Methodism and surely God had led them out. They were being faithful to the call of God in their lives. This was, however, a privalege that they refused to ackknowledge for other people, expecially anyone who left the Mission and later The Salvation Army. What the Booths valued in themselves they often questioned in others"
In a few weeks my wife and I will be going to New York for our 5 year Refresher Institutes. When we first arrived at the SFOT our session of Ambassadors of Grace had 63 cadets. When we were commissioned, there were only 52...and now at the reuinion there will be only 38. Since the first year of Training we have lost nearly half of our session. And where are those people who left "the work"? Why did they leave? What has happened to them since? Personally, I have only kept in contact with two of them. I don't think I believed them traitorous, but I think other officers do. I know that the two I still talk to have felt like they were treated that way. God may have been leading them in a new direction or they may have been dealing with issues that needed more of there time and energy than they could provide while still engaged in active ministry in The Salvation Army.
Why is it that The Salvation Army, on the whole, is like this still to this day? Any thoughts?
In His Grip,
Dave

2 comments:

Kapten Clark said...

Now that I'm an officer (5 years same as you this year, since we were cadet-lts.!), I see this in a totally new light. Every time someone leaves, it makes more work for the rest of us! Plus I grieve the loss of some great talent and feel that our fighting force has lost some of its strength.

It's also a big morale blow to the rest of us. (Why did they leave? Maybe they know something I don't know. Maybe I should leave, too!)

Also, if you buy into the whole covenant thing (I do), then it's similar to a divorce, and of course no one's happy about that.

I would ask Dr. Green, did the Booths make the same kind of Covenant with the Methodists that officers make with the Army? I don't think so.

One of your sessionmates in particular was a very dear friend of mine at School and I pray for him every day (LJ).

wcs53 said...

Personally, I think it is wrong to call officers who leave traitors. Many I know who have left have continued to serve God and see that as a way of being able to continue fulfilling their covenant with God. Although the covenant is through the Army it still is with God.

To officers who call those who leave trators all I ever say is wait until you find yourself in a similar position. If we are honest there are times when we all experience the desire to leave and do something else.

I think it's time to get away from the 'I'll never leave the dear old flag, twere better far to die' mentality (or should that be sentimentality).

For whatever reason, our session seems to have bucked the trend. Of the 26 commissioned in 1998 we still have 21 active. The sessions both sides of us have lost a lot more. Maybe we are just too bull-headed or just don't know what else to do!

We just got the 'Officer' with your wife's article in it this week at Retreat. The article caused some good debate amongst some of the officers in our division. My wife would like to write to your wife and exchange some stories. Let us know if that is possible.

Keep up the good work. Blessings,
William