2/20/2006

Young Sex. Ed.

I was listening to talk radio out of Boston today and heard that the Massachusetts legislature is considering a bill that would impose new "Health Education" curriculum. This curriculum would teach gay and lesbian and transgender views, and basic sex ed to children starting in Kindergarten...that's right, I said KINDERGARTEN!!

Oh, and did I mention that it would be manditory and that the teachers would not have to inform the parents of when the "teaching" was taking place.

What does this mean for us as Officers who are told where we have to live and serve? I have 3 young children who will all be entering Kindergarten in the next few years and I know that I do not want them learning any kind of sex ed. that young...never mind the encouragement of gay and lesbianism. If this passes, will the Army pay for private schooling in Mass.?

5 comments:

Kapten Clark said...

I think one word: homeschooling!!!

I also think that if you have a good relationship with the classroom teacher, you can work it out.

"Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:34)

Dave C said...

Evelyn,

Although home schooling may work for some people, I just don't see it working very well for officer's families. The amount of time that you should spend on it, compared to the amount of time that needs to be spent at your appointment. One or both would lose something in that deal.

Dave

Kapten Clark said...

We've been homeschooling as officers for five years, and we are certainly not the only officers who do it!

It doesn't take as much time as you think (maybe 3 hours a day to just throw out a number).

wcs53 said...

Homeschooling by officers is strongly discouraged in our territory. After July 1 this year one of the officers will likely be asked to consider resignation if they dersire to homeschool.

We have our daughter in a Catholic school, so the type of education where homosexuality is taught as an 'alternative' lifestyle is unlikely to be taught.

I don't think that having a good relationship with the classroom teacher will make much of a difference if the agenda of the school board is to push this stuff.

Aurora said...

I read the article, and it doesn't look like the topic of sex will necessarily be prime education material for first graders. I personally feel that the topics brought out in public classrooms tend to be age-appropriate, and help kids learn about and express themselves about realities their friends are living in and dealing with every day. Whenever we covered topics in class that concerned me growing up, I would talk them over with my mom, and we would end up talking about things that wouldn't have come up in our everyday conversations. That said, it sounds pretty crazy that officers would be asked to leave their officership because of the choice to homeschool their children.